How to apply for permission to dive in Lymington Harbour
Issue of a permit to dive will be subject to the following procedure:
1. All diving operations must be conducted in accordance with the HSE diving at Work Regulations 1997 and the approved Code of Practice.
2. All masters, contractors and agents must ensure that a written safe system of work, with appropriate risk assessments, is submitted to the Harbour Office prior to commencing and diving operations. As a minimum, issues to be considered within the risk assessment are to include, but not be limited to:
- Scope of the task - boat scrubbing, propeller work, work on piles, quay walls, etc.
- Team size - sufficient, qualified, competent, prepared etc.
- Equipment involved - wet suit or coveralls, foot protection, gloves, head protection, harness, lifeline, weight belt, knife, light, tools for the job etc.
- Operational elements – daylight only, access to the water, environmental effects, visibility, lookout, radio checks etc.
- Emergency measures – standby diver/swimmer, recovery of injured personnel, availability of rescue craft, nearest medical facility etc.
3. Diving contractors, masters and agents must ensure that a Diving Request Form is completed and forwarded to the Harbour Office at least 24 hours before operation together with the supporting information required under 2 above. Approval must have been received before the diving operation commences and a diver enters the water. Additionally when diving in the Berthon Lymington Marina or Lymington Yacht Haven Marina, a separate consent is required from the Marina Manager or Berthing Master before a diver enters the water.
Commercial Divers may apply to Lymington Harbour Commissioners to be ‘approved contractors’ for the purpose of diving in Lymington Harbour. Approval will be subject to the contractor providing details of their standard operating procedures; risk assessments; emergency action plan and sample dive project plan. A Diving Request Form will still need to be completed and authorised prior to each dive.
Commercial Divers authorised as ‘approved contractors’ for diving in Lymington Harbour:
RS Divers: www.rsdivers.co.uk
MMC Diving Services: www.mmcdivingservices.co.uk
Island Divers Limited: www.iowdivers.co.uk
Commercial and Specialised Diving Ltd: www.specialised-diving.co.uk
HSE Guidance can be downloaded here:
HSE Diving at Work Regulations 1997
A Brief Guide to complying with Health & Safety Law