Emergency Towage Operations
Should you have to undertake an emergency tow within Lymington River, please call the Harbour Office (01590 672014) or VHF Ch66 so that we can advise other river users and provide an escort or support should that be necessary.
Planned third party towage operations in Lymington River when the tow exceeds 22m in length
Tows planned and undertaken by RNLI, Berthon Boatyard, Lymington Yacht Haven, Seastart and Lymington Harbour Commissioners are exempt from the requirement to obtain a Towage Permit, subject to these operations being undertaken in accordance with the organisation’s Safe Operating Procedures.
Issue of a Towage Permit will be subject to the following procedure:
1. All towage operations must be conducted in accordance with the appropriate professional standards.
2. All masters, contractors and agents must ensure that a written safe system of work, with appropriate risk assessments, is submitted to the Harbour Office prior to commencing towage operations and is implemented. As a minimum, issues to be considered within the risk assessment are to include, but not be limited to:
- Scope of the task – size of towed vessel, whether it has propulsion or ability to steer etc.
- Crew size - sufficient, qualified, competent, prepared etc.
- Equipment involved.
- Operational elements – time of day, impact of the tide, environmental effects, visibility, lookout, radio checks etc.
- Interaction with other river traffic including the Wightlink ferries.
- Emergency measures – availability of rescue craft, nearest medical facility etc.
3. Towage contractors, masters and agents must ensure that a Towage Authorisation Request Form is completed and forwarded to the Harbour Office at least 24 hours before the towage operation commences, together with the supporting information required under 2 above. Approval must have been received before the towage operation commences. Additionally, when towing to/from the Berthon Lymington Marina, Haven Quay or Lymington Yacht Haven Marina, a separate consent may be required from the Marina Manager or Berthing Master before the operation commences.
Should you have to undertake an emergency tow within Lymington River, please call the Harbour Office (01590 672014) or VHF Ch66 so that we can advise other river users and provide an escort or support should that be necessary